Monday, June 11, 2012

Barcelona: June 8 - June 10

Barcelona is by far my favorite city I have been visited!  It was so great.  It is funny how all Spanish cities are similar but can be completely different at the same time.  In Barcelona the official government language is Catalan so every sign is in Catalan and Spanish.  Catalan is so similar to Spanish.  However, most of the people there just speak Spanish so I don't understand why Catalan is even a language haha.  The city has a tourist feel to it but I loved it still.

The first day there we spend the day at the beach and it was beautiful.  Everyone is so chill in Europe and so most of the ladies there were topless; it is just the way of life there.  I was a little nervous to travel to Barcelona after the pick-pocketing disaster for me in Madrid but I didn't have any problems there.  Our hostel that we stayed in was fabulous.  We had our own room for the four of us and then we had a dining room, two bathrooms, a kitchen and a cute deck and patio! 


Our room before
Our room after


That night we explored the night life of Barcelona and like everywhere in Spain the night life is crazy!  It is normal for people in Spain to stay out until 6:00 or 7:00 in the morning! They go hard there (:  we ended up at this club that was near the beach.  My friend and I talked to the bouncer for a little bit in our broken Spanish and he ended up letting our whole group of about 10 in for free, I am not gonna lie I felt pretty cool haha.  Our group was really cool because everyone was watching out for each other.  We had three guys with us and they kept watching out for us.  Unfortunately there were a few guys who kept creeping on some girls in our group and they were really drunk.  They kept coming up to the same girl so she told one of the guys and they stepped in to be the "pretend boyfriend."  Our professor here told them to do that if one of the girls were in a bad situation but to make a long story short the four drunk guys started a fight with our guy friends.  We all left the club after and headed home.  We are so lucky though that nothing worse happened.  One of our friends got a black eye and his face is beaten up but he is doing fine.  I am just so glad they didn't have a knife or anything!!

Our cute view from the deck.


On Saturday we took a double decker bus and just toured the city!  We didn't have a lot of time there so we went to the places we knew we all wanted to see first.  I definitely want to return to Barcelona because I felt like we didn't have enough time to see everything. 


Casa Batllo Gaudi  

Sagrada Familia


 
This place is so breathtaking.  Honestly, a picture does not do it any justice.  This building was Gaudi's masterpiece and it is still in construction. He died while working on this and they continue to build it.  Next time I come here I have to go inside.  I saw some pictures of my friends who went inside and it was remarkable.  The line to go inside was insane and we needed more time there.


Next, we went to the museum of Barcelona FC.  It is the largest soccer stadium in Europe.  Of course, you have to pay a crap ton of money to go on a tour in there so we just walked around there.  If anyone loves me they will take me to a game there and the tour as well(: 

That night we went out to dinner with the boys and just chilled in our hostel.  At about five in the morning we headed to the beach and watched the sunrise which was a great way to end our last night there.  On Sunday we headed to the beach one last time and then sadly had to return to Oviedo that night!  I had a great time in Barcelona but some of our friends there had a lot of stuff stolen from them and I felt horrible.  I am so blessed that we were safe this weekend and we enjoyed ourselves.  The worse thing that happened to us was some sunburns.  Two girls had their passports stolen and weren't able to fly home because you have to have a passport on this airline, so they took a 10 hour train ride home.  Another girl booked the wrong flight and was only there for 24 hours.  You just have to roll with the punches though. 

No comments:

Post a Comment